Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Things I Love Today: (and everyday) Irish Brown Bread



I made this beauty last night and it disappeared in record time. My Irish husband even gave me the nod and said "It is very good..I will give you that!" (If you knew my man, you would know that is a huge compliment!!)

Here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients
3 cups extra coarse wholemeal flour
1 cup oat bran
3 tablespoons wheat germ
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, beaten
2 cups buttermilk or regular milk

Method
1. Preheat oven to 380 degrees.

2. Combine first seven ingredients and fluff together with hands to mix in the baking soda and baking powder completely.

3. Add egg and milk and stir to combine until it has the consistency and appearance of oatmeal (I use a wooden spoon).

4. Knead lightly on floured board to shape into a round. Place dough on a greased sheet or pan.

5. Smooth top with lightly floured fingers. With a knife make a deep cross from side to side. (You’re wishing the bread well as it goes in.) Spinkle top with flour.

6. Bake at 380 degrees for 50 mins to 1 hour (or until golden brown on top). Cool on a rack completely before cutting (I never can wait that long though). Can be kept out for a day or two, but then needs to be refrigerated or frozen (it won't make it that long though:)

Tips: (I learned from my Irish ladies)

1. To check if bread is done, tap bottom for a hollow sound.

2. Wrap a tea towel over just out of the oven bread for a softer crust (I always do this).

Happy Paddy's Day Everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment